The mobility instruments of the FNRS allow a researcher of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation to travel abroad under certain conditions during his/her contract (mobility OUT), or foreign researchers to make stays of limited duration in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (mobility IN).
The regulation and the forms can be downloaded below. The latter must be sent back to the FNRS within the time indicated.
Joint Award with Germany: Alexander von Humboldt Prize (IN)
Every two years, the Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Foundation and the Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique – FNRS award the Alexander von Humboldt Prize to two scientists, one from a university of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation and the other to a German. This Prize recognises exclusively leading researchers of international renown for their published scientific work. At the same time, this Prize aims to promote scientific cooperation between Germany and the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. The Prize allows the German winners and those of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation to carry out the research work of their choice over a long period with scientific institutes in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation and Germany respectively.
Deadline: 01.03.2019 (introduction de candidature par le Rectorat)
Periodicity: biennial (period 2019-2020 and 2020-2021)
Theme: internationally recognised research work in any branch of Science
Nominees: Germany, highly qualified researcher
Award: between € 13,000 and € 39,000 for a stay in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation of between 3 months and 1 year.
Documents: regulations (only in FR)
Gustave Boël – Sofina Fellowships (OUT)
These outward-bound mobility grants are sponsored by the Plateforme pour l’Éducation et le Talent via the Fondation Roi Baudouin. They aim to finance research stays of 6 or 12 months abroad and are intended for doctoral students affiliated to a Belgian university. The stay must take place during the doctorate. All destinations are eligible except the USA. The amount of these scholarships is € 1,650/month, plus a fixed sum of € 1,000 to cover travelling expenses between Belgium and the country of destination.
- Eligible researchers: doctoral students receiving paid affiliation to a Belgian university and having obtained a Master’s degree (MA or MSc) after November 1, 2016.
- Purpose: this instrument makes possible a research stay of 6 or 12 months abroad during academic year 2020-2021.
- Eligible destinations: All destinations except the USA are eligible.
- Procedure: the call for applications for the 2021 scholarships is closed.
- Documents: regulations
- Plateforme pour l’éducation et le talent www.sofinaboel.be.
- Recipients (only in FR).
Scientific partnership agreements between partners outside the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, WBI (Wallonie-Bruxelles International) and the F.R.S.-FNRS
Further information on these different funding possibilities and on calls for candidates is available on the website of Wallonie-Bruxelles International.
- Excellence Scholarship Program:
Excellence Scholarship Program aim to support the mobility of researchers from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation abroad, and the reception of foreign researchers in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
Each year, different deadlines are proposed for long-term (1 year with possibility of renewal) and short-term (1 to 3 months) excellence scholarship program, namely:
1 February for short-term stays planned for between June and September;
1 March for long-term stays;
1 May for short-term stays planned for between October and January;
1 October for short-term stays planned for between February and May.
- Partenariat Hubert Curien Tournesol (France):
This partnership develops scientific and technological cooperation between higher education and research institutions and public bodies in Wallonia-Brussels and France, in the field of fundamental research.
- Agreement with the China Scholarship Council (CSC):
The aim of this partnership is to award study or research grants of short or long duration. It is intended for holders of a Master’s or PhD degree.
- Agreement with the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences:
This partnership aims to contribute to the development and intensification of scientific cooperation.
- Agreement with the Romanian Academy of Sciences:
This partnership aims to contribute to the development and enhancement of scientific cooperation.
Selection every three years.
JSPS postdoctoral fellowship for foreign researchers (OUT)
- Persons concerned: highly qualified post-doctoral researchers of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation
- Purpose: under the scientific agreement concluded between the Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique - FNRS and the JSPS (Japan), the JSPS awards grants for a period of 1 to 2 years for research activities under the guidance of a Japanese coordinator.
- Useful documents: Application Guidelines, Application Form, Instructions for the FY2021 Application Form, Host institutions
- Deadline for submission of requests to the F.R.S.-FNRS: 3 May 2021
- Useful information: http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-fellow/long_list.html