The mobility instruments of the FNRS allow a researcher of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation to travel abroad under certain conditions during his/her contract (mobility OUT), or foreign researchers to make stays of limited duration in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (mobility IN).
The regulation and the forms can be downloaded below. The latter must be sent back to the FNRS within the time indicated.
Joint Award with Germany: Alexander von Humboldt Prize (IN)
Every two years, the Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Foundation and the Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique – FNRS award the Alexander von Humboldt Prize to two scientists, one from a university of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation and the other to a German. This Prize recognises exclusively leading researchers of international renown for their published scientific work. At the same time, this Prize aims to promote scientific cooperation between Germany and the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. The Prize allows the German winners and those of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation to carry out the research work of their choice over a long period with scientific institutes in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation and Germany respectively.
- Deadline: 01.03.2019 (introduction de candidature par le Rectorat)
- Periodicity: biennial (period 2019-2020 and 2020-2021)
- Theme: internationally recognised research work in any branch of Science
- Nominees: Germany, highly qualified researcher
- Award: between € 13,000 and € 39,000 for a stay in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation of between 3 months and 1 year.
- Documents: regulations (only in FR)
SofinaBoël Fellowships (OUT)
These outgoing mobility grants are sponsored by the "Fonds SofinaBoël pour l’Éducation et le Talent" via the Fondation Roi Baudouin. They aim to finance research stays of 6 or 12 months abroad and are intended for doctoral students affiliated to a Belgian university. The stay must take place during the doctorate. All destinations are eligible except the USA. The amount of these scholarships is € 1,650/month, plus a lump sum of € 1,000 to cover one return ticket between Belgium and the country of destination.
- Eligible researchers: doctoral students receiving paid affiliation to a Belgian university and having obtained a Master’s degree (MA or MSc) after November 1, 2018.
- Purpose: this instrument makes possible a research stay of 6 or 12 months abroad during academic year 2023-2024.
- Eligible destinations: All destinations except the USA are eligible.
- Procedure: the call is closed.
- Documents: regulations, FAQ.
- Fund SofinaBoël for Education and Talent www.sofinaboel.be.
Scientific partnership agreements between partners outside the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, WBI (Wallonie-Bruxelles International) and the F.R.S.-FNRS
Further information on these different funding possibilities and on calls for candidates is available on the website of Wallonie-Bruxelles International.
- Excellence Scholarship Program:
Excellence Scholarship Program aim to support the mobility of researchers from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation abroad, and the reception of foreign researchers in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
Each year, different deadlines are proposed for long-term (1 year with possibility of renewal) and short-term (1 to 3 months) excellence scholarship program, namely:
1 February for short-term stays planned for between June and September;
1 March for long-term stays;
1 May for short-term stays planned for between October and January;
1 October for short-term stays planned for between February and May.
- Partenariat Hubert Curien Tournesol (France):
This partnership develops scientific and technological cooperation between higher education and research institutions and public bodies in Wallonia-Brussels and France, in the field of fundamental research.
- Agreement with the China Scholarship Council (CSC):
The aim of this partnership is to award study or research grants of short or long duration. It is intended for holders of a Master’s or PhD degree.
- Agreement with the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences:
This partnership aims to contribute to the development and intensification of scientific cooperation.
- Agreement with the Romanian Academy of Sciences:
This partnership aims to contribute to the development and enhancement of scientific cooperation.
Selection every three years.
JSPS postdoctoral fellowship for foreign researchers (OUT)
- Persons concerned: highly qualified post-doctoral researchers of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation
- Purpose: under the scientific agreement concluded between the Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique - FNRS and the JSPS (Japan), the JSPS awards grants for a period of 1 to 2 years for research activities under the guidance of a Japanese coordinator.
- Useful documents: Application Guidelines, Application Form, Instructions for the FY2023 Application Form, Host institutions
- Deadline for submission of requests to the F.R.S.-FNRS: 2 May 2023
- Useful information: http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-fellow/long_list.html