Scientific Councils of the doctoral schools with the F.R.S.-FNRS
Art. 1. Each doctoral school with the F.R.S.-FNRS shall be placed under the responsibility of a Scientific Council. The members of the Scientific Councils shall be appointed by the F.R.S.-FNRS from proposals made by the rectors. They shall be holders of PhDs and be permanently attached to the university. Each institution authorised in the field according to the terms of the decree must be represented by a member. The term of office of the members of the Scientific Councils shall be five years, renewable once.
Art. 2. At the end of the terms of office, the Board of Directors of the F.R.S.-FNRS, after having received the opinion of the rectors, shall designate the persons called upon to compose the new Scientific Councils. The same procedure shall be followed if it is necessary to fill a vacancy.
Art. 3. The Scientific Council shall elect the President from among its members and shall appoint a Secretary.
Art. 4. The Scientific Council shall adopt its opinions according to the “consensus” procedure; if this procedure cannot succeed, a ballot shall be held in which all the members participate. In case of parity, the President’s vote shall prevail.
Art. 5. The Scientific Council’s missions shall be:
- to host, coordinate, promote the thematic doctoral schools (TDSs) attached to the doctoral school with the F.R.S.-FNRS of this Scientific Council and to carry out any mission entrusted to it by the F.R.S.-FNRS Doctoral School Commission;
- to give an opinion to the F.R.S.-FNRS Doctoral School Commission about proposed projects for thematic doctoral schools (TDSs) which request their attachment to the doctoral school with the F.R.S.-FNRS (DS) of this Scientific Council;
- to carry out the activities of a Scientific Council of a thematic doctoral school in cases where there is coincidence between the doctoral school with the F.R.S.-FNRS (DS) and the thematic doctoral school (TDS).
Art. 6. The Scientific Council shall meet at least twice a year and, in particular, at the request of the F.R.S.-FNRS Doctoral School Commission.
Art. 7. Each year, the F.R.S.-FNRS shall inform the Presidents of the DSs with the F.R.S.-FNRS how much they can claim in order to manage their DS. Each President shall, on 1 February, submit a request for credit for his organisational expenses, the use of which must be justified. This request may include:
- an amount reserved for administrative and scientific organisation costs that shall be justified for a maximum total amount of €2,000 / year;
- a variable portion to be distributed by the DSs with the F.R.S.-FNRS, where necessary, between themselves and to the TDSs attached principally to them.
This sum shall be determined according to the number of doctors in the field for the last 5 years, according to CRef statistics. It shall cover the updating of a website, the organisation of conferences, seminars, summer internships, travel expenses etc.
The President of each DS with the F.R.S.-FNRS shall take special care to promote interuniversity activities that involve the largest possible number of doctoral students in the field and ensure international openness.
At the beginning of the year, the F.R.S.-FNRS shall indicate to the President of each DS with the F.R.S.-FNRS the amount he can claim.
Art. 8. The Scientific Council shall submit an annual report to the F.R.S.-FNRS Doctoral School Commission. This Scientific Report on Subsidiary Activities shall list the activities of the TDSs including the following in particular:
- title, location, date of training programme;
• name of the person who delivered it;
• number of participants - with surname, first name, host institution and field of study.