The mission of the F.R.S.-FNRS is to promote free (fundamental) scientific research in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation by allocating grants to researchers and institutions. To fulfil this mission, the F.R.S.-FNRS has financial instruments that are the subject of calls for proposals at different times of the year. The allocation of grants is subject to a peer review of the quality of the proposal and is based on scientific excellence.
The F.R.S.-FNRS employs over 2,000 researchers at different stages of their careers.
- either scholarships or fixed-term contracts for PhD students or postdoctoral fellows, or
- permanent positions for senior researchers (Research Associates, Senior Research Associates, Research Directors).
These researchers carry out their activities in all fields of science, within French-speaking universities that make their infrastructures available to them and integrate them into their academic environment. Other tools also make it possible to provide researchers conducting a project of excellence with scientific and technical personnel, equipment and means of operation.
Research fellow - ASP
The ASP mandate is to complete the PhD in four years. It is in the form of a 2-year grant, possibly renewable for a maximum of 2 years.
FRIA Doctoral Grant
The purpose of the FRIA scholarship is to complete a PhD in 4 years in fields of research related to industry or agriculture. It is in the form of two successive grants: the 1st scholarship for a maximum duration of 27 months and the 2nd scholarship for a maximum duration of 21 months.
FRESH Doctoral Grant
The purpose of the FRESH grant is to complete a PhD in 4 years in Human and Social Sciences. It is in the form of two successive grants: the 1st grant for a maximum duration of 27 months and the 2nd grant for a maximum duration of 21 months.
Special Doctoral Grant - BSD
BSDs are for secondary school teachers who are WBF university graduates with job stability and who can take leave for one year with the certainty of returning to their job at the end of this leave, enabling them to complete a research project in view of obtaining a PhD degree in one of the WBF’s academic institutions.
European University Institute (EUI) Doctoral Grant
- Personnes concernées : Le candidat à une bourse de doctorat de l’Institut universitaire européen de Florence doit être titulaire d’un grade académique de master en 120 crédits au moins délivré par un établissement d’enseignement supérieur de la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles depuis au maximum 7 ans. (cfr conditions complètes d’éligibilité – Articles 2 à 6 du règlement).
- Objet : Faciliter l’achèvement du doctorat du candidat au sein de l’IUE en offrant des infrastructures de très haut niveau pour une durée de 4 ans à Florence.
- Procédure : L’appel à candidatures à une bourse de doctorat de l’Institut universitaire européen de Florence est ouvert une fois par an. L’introduction d’une candidature ne peut être opérée qu’en ligne sur le site de l’Institut accessible à l’adresse http://www.eui.eu où toute information relative à l’appel est également disponible.
- Documents : Règlements & Guides
Fellowships for clinical physicians (part-time)
This category is reserved for clinical physicians who wish to devote themselves to basic research while continuing a part-time hospital activity.
Medical doctor applicant to an MSc and a PhD - CSD
The part-time CSD mandate is intended for a doctor who simultaneously undertakes a doctorate and a specialised master’s degree. The maximum duration is 2 years, possibly renewable three times (for a maximum total duration of 8 years). The CSD part-time term may begin at any time during the specialisation but must end no later than 4 years after the end of the specialisation.
Clinical Master Specialist applicant to a PhD - SD
The part-time SD mandate is for a licensed medical specialist who undertakes a PhD. The maximum duration of this part-time fellowship is 2 years, possibly renewable once (for a maximum total duration of 4 years).
Veterinary MD PhD student (part-time) - VETE-CCD
The VETE-CCD part-time fellowship is reserved for veterinary doctors in clinical specialisation to enable them to undertake a doctoral thesis while continuing a part-time activity as part of their clinical training. The maximum duration of this half-time fellowship is 2 years, possibly renewable once (for a maximum total duration of 4 years).
Télévie doctoral student
F.R.S.-FNRS Télévie Grant
The F.R.S.-FNRS Télévie Grant is for a maximum of 2 years, possibly renewable for a maximum of 2 years, which can be attributed to a university graduate in order to pursue research work in view of obtaining a PhD.
The F.R.S.-FNRS Télévie Grant is part of the doctoral PhD staff category solicited by a promoter of a Télévie funding application.
Specialist doctor applicant to a clinical Ph.D.
The part-time doctoral student - specialist clinician candidate fellowship is for a doctor who simultaneously undertakes a doctorate and a specialised master’s degree. It is part of the PhD student scientific personnel category requested by a promoter of a Télévie funding application.