Within the doctoral schools with the F.R.S.-FNRS (DSs), one or more thematic doctoral schools (TDSs) may be created.
An TDS may belong to several DSs with the F.R.S.-FNRS.
Each TDS is subject to the responsibility of a Scientific Committee.
Documentation for the creation of a thematic doctoral school must include the following:
- the name of the TDS
- the DS(s) with the F.R.S.-FNRS to which it is related (maximum 3)
- the university institutions concerned and, if applicable, other partner research institutions
- the scientific objectives of the TDS, the partner research teams
- the elements that make it possible to judge the scientific quality of the research teams and the project according to the criteria usually recognised in the discipline(s) concerned
- the list of doctors trained over the last five years by all the partner teams
- the composition of the Scientific Committee (which must include a Spokesperson and a Secretary)
- the training offered to PhD students
- the description of the other activities of the TDS.
Review of the documentation
The TDS creation projects shall be presented to the F.R.S.-FNRS by the rectors of the partner university institutions. These projects must be accompanied by the opinion of the Research Council of these institutions. Any collaboration of research institutions external to the academic institutions of the Wallonia Brussels Federation must be accompanied by the agreement of their authorities.
Each TDS creation project shall be coordinated by a Spokesperson.
The creation projects shall be examined by the F.R.S.-FNRS Doctoral School Commission, who shall solicit the opinion of the Scientific Council of the related DSs. It may also solicit the opinion of the relevant Scientific Commissions of the F.R.S.-FNRS, as well as that of any other expert.
Recognition within one or more DSs with the F.R.S.-FNRS shall be granted for a period of 5 years. Each TDS shall submit an annual activity report for 1 March. During the 5th year, a report on the activities and the results of the five-year period shall be prepared for the FNRS. It shall accompany, if applicable, the request for renewal. This must clarify and justify any modifications proposed by the scientific committee of the TDS.